As the first state to legalize online casino gambling, New Jersey has led the way in the regulated U.S. iGaming market. On this page, we give you an overview of all the state has to offer in terms of online casinos, including everywhere you can play, promo codes for bonuses, game selection and more.
Best NJ online casinos – September 2021
Full list of NJ online casinos
|Online Casino||Promo Code||Retail Partner||Launch|
|Borgata Casino NJ||Just click here||Borgata||2013|
|Golden Nugget Casino NJ||Just click here||Golden Nugget||2013|
|Tropicana Casino NJ||HANDLE||Tropicana||2013|
|BetMGM Casino NJ||Just click here||Borgata||2017|
|PlaySugarHouse Casino NJ||Just click here||Golden Nugget||2016|
|Virgin Casino NJ||HANDLE||Tropicana||2013|
|PartyCasino NJ||Just click here||Borgata||2013|
|888casino NJ||Just click here||Caesars||2013|
|Caesars Casino NJ||Just click here||Caesars||2013|
|Unibet Casino NJ||Just click here||Hard Rock||2019|
|bet365 Casino NJ||Just click here||Hard Rock||2019|
|DraftKings Casino NJ||Just click here||Resorts||2018|
|Hard Rock Casino NJ||Just click here||Hard Rock||2018|
|Stardust Casino NJ||Just click here||Golden Nugget||2013|
|Ocean Casino NJ||Just click here||Ocean||2018|
|BetAmerica NJ||Golden Nugget||2019|
|Harrah's Casino NJ||Caesars||2013|
|Pala Casino NJ||Borgata||2015|
|Parx Casino NJ||Ocean||2019|
|Mohegan Sun Casino NJ||Resorts||2015|
|Resorts Casino NJ||Resorts||2015|
|Scores Casino NJ||Borgata||2017|
How do casino promo codes work?
Promo codes are basically coupons, but instead of getting 10% off your online purchase, you gain access to free money, deposit match bonuses, free spins and more.
You might be wondering why online casinos would just be giving away free money in the first place. The answer lies in the fact that the New Jersey online casino market is a very crowded one, and sites offer these kinds of welcome packages as an advertising tool.
Similar to how a car dealer may offer five free oil changes with the purchase of a new car — they are taking the small financial hit in hopes that you enjoy the service you receive and come back for future service needs. Similarly, online casinos want you to check out their site in hopes that you will continue to play long after the bonus money is cleared.
All new customers are eligible to receive these welcome bonus packages, but in order to be awarded the maximum bonuses, you may need to use a special promo code, which can be found on this page and throughout this site. SportsHandle is partnered with NJ’s best online casinos and often offers bonuses that exceed the visible public offer. Just make sure to click through our exclusive links or use our promo codes to get the best possible bonus.
What types of bonuses are offered at NJ online casinos?
No Deposit Bonuses
No deposit bonuses are exactly what they sound like, but with a few stipulations. Once you successfully register a new account, the online casino will give you a certain amount of bonus money to play with — for free.
These offers are typically pretty small, between $10-$30, but are still a great value as there is absolutely no risk to you. No deposit bonuses allow you to truly play with house money. If you happen to win big with your free money, it’s yours to keep, as long as you meet any terms and conditions (discussed below).
First Deposit Bonuses
First deposit bonuses are a very popular welcome package among NJ online casinos, and work by the operator matching your deposit up to a certain amount.
For example, let’s say Golden Nugget Casino offers a 100% first deposit bonus up to $1,000. If you deposit $300, you’ll see your original $300 in your account, plus an additional $300 in bonus money.
But keep in mind that no two deposit matches are created equal — there are some strings attached, so be sure to check the fine print for wagering requirements and expiration dates.
Lets take a closer look as to how two seemingly identical deposit matches may differ:
Online casino A has a 100% deposit match up to $500 with 10x wagering, and casino B has a 20% deposit match up to $500 with 30x wagering requirements. While they both are offering $500 in bonus money, but casino B requires a $2,500 deposit to max out the bonus while casino A only requires a $500 commitment.
What’s more, casino B is going to require $15,000 ($500 x 30) in wagering to clear the bonus and casino A only requires $5,000 ($500 x 10). Casino A clearly has the better offer in this case.
While not the most common welcome package, Risk-Free offers do seem to be a growing trend in the industry. With this type of bonus, online casinos allow you to play risk-free for a certain time period up to a certain max.
For example, if an online casino is offering risk-free play for the first 24 hours up to $200, once you place your first bet, the clock starts. If that 24 hours ends in a net loss of $150, the online casino will either refund your account $150 in site credit, or cash.
The Fine Print
Before taking advantage of any bonus offer, there are a few important terms and conditions that usually will apply:
- Wagering requirements: Online casinos give “free money” as a marketing tool, so you are going to have to give them some action before cashing out the funds. To convert bonus funds to your cash balance, there will be a specified amount of wagering that you need to do first. Wagering requirements can range from 1x up to as high as 40x. For example, if you have a $25, 1x bonus, you would just need to wager $25 in order to cash out the bonus money. That same $25 bonus at 40x would require $1,000 in wagers to convert the bonus funds.
- Eligible games: Depending on the bonus offer, only certain games may count towards satisfying the wagering requirements. Where one site may allow any game, including slots, table games and video poker, another site may only count slots towards the wagering or only allow blackjack to count 10% towards wagering requirements. For example:
- Site A allows all games to clear a $500, 20x bonus. You can play blackjack, slots and video poker and as long as you wager $10,000 ($500 x 20), the bonus money will be all yours.
- Site B allows slots to count 100% while blackjack only contributes 10% towards that same $500, 20x bonus. If you use slots only to clear the bonus, you would still only need to wager $10,000. If you use blackjack to clear the bonus, you would then need to wager $100,000 ($10,000/10%) to clear the same $500 bonus.
- Expiration Dates: Before signing up, you should always know how long you have to clear the bonus. Some expire in 24 hours and some may give you up to 90 days to clear. Most of these offers are a one time deal, so you do not want to let the free money go to waste.
Our Top 3 NJ online casinos
The New Jersey online casino market is huge and still growing, so it may be a bit overwhelming when choosing which online casino to try first. We here at SportsHandle have broken down our top three picks to get you started:
- Borgata Online Casino: Borgata has been atop the brick-and-mortar casino list in NJ since its doors opened in 2003, so it was no surprise it would be among the leaders when it launched its online casino in 2013. Borgata online casino has a large slot library, including several progressive jackpot slots, tons of table game options, Live Dealer and an easy to use interface.
- Tropicana Online Casino: Tropicana Casino has been a staple in Atlantic City since 1981 and was one of the first to launch an online casino back in 2013. Tropicana makes our Top 3 list thanks to its outstanding software, its selection of community jackpot slots and exclusive slot titles you wont find anywhere else.
- DraftKings Online Casino: DraftKings has become a household name thanks to its online sportsbook and daily fantasy sports sites, so when it announced its entrance into the online casino market, we knew it would provide a top quality product. The site did not dissapoint — available on both desktop and mobile, the casino’s simple layout makes it easy to find the game you want without the need for tabs or search bars. What’s more, you can easily switch to betting on sports or DFS through its shared wallet feature.
What games do NJ online casinos offer?
Your favorite Atlantic City slots can now be played on your desktop or mobile device anywhere in New Jersey. They also come with some big advantages, like access to exclusive titles, better graphics, more in-game bonus rounds, lower minimum bets and higher RTP (return to player), making online slots a much better value than their retail counterparts.
RTP is the percent of return you can expect over time from any slot. Retail titles average in the high 80s, while online slots can get as high as 98% RTP.
To take a deeper look into how online slots compare to retail, let’s take look at the most popular jackpot slot in New Jersey, Divine Fortune.
Divine Fortune is available at all NJ online casinos and features five reels, three rows, and 20 pay lines. Divine Fortune has three levels of jackpots, with the Minor being 4x your bet, the Major being 20x your bet and the Mega progressive jackpot hitting six-figure payouts frequently.
The jackpot can be triggered on bets as low as 20 cents whereas most retail jackpot slots require a max bet that could be as high as $10 per spin. Divine Fortune boasts an RTP almost 10% higher than any retail jackpot slot and boasts multiple ways to earn extra spins and bonus games.
Other popular slot titles that can be found on NJ online casinos include:
- Blood Suckers
- Wolfpack Pays
- Jack Hammer
- Wheel of Fortune
Online casinos feature all your favorite table games including but not limited to:
- Blackjack: Arguably the most popular casino game in the world, NJ online casinos offer a few variations of the game including single hand, multihand, Exchange Blackjack, and blackjack with side bets like the Lucky Ladies blackjack game. Bets can start as low as $0.10 per hand.
- Roulette: A staple at retail casinos around the world, roulette can be found at all NJ online casinos. Online roulette comes in a few variations including the standard American roulette with 0 and 00. European and French roulette feature just a single 0, which cuts into the house edge, and French roulette goes one step further where you get half your bet back if 0 hits. Bets can start as low as $0.10 per spin.
- Baccarat: Online baccarat play is almost identical to that found in the casino. Just as they do live, bettors place wagers on either player or the banker. But an advantage to online is the minimum bet is just a fraction of that in the retail setting.
- Other Games: Other popular games found at NJ online casinos include Pai Gow, Ultimate Texas Hold’em and Let it Ride.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games are the best of both worlds, combining retail and online. Most online casinos in New Jersey have set up live streaming studios where you can play blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more with a real human dealer, bringing the full casino experience without having to leave your house.
What can you expect at a live dealer table?
When you sit down at a live dealer table, you’ll experience a hybrid of both an online and retail casino. Real cards are dealt by a dealer in a studio, and you can interact with them via chat.
However, you place bets electronically and can also chat with other players at the table. Games tend to move faster as there are no chips to deal with and payouts are done automatically.
Advantages to Live Dealer
- You can play anywhere in the state of New Jersey
- Real dealers and social interaction
- Lower minimum bets than you will find in a retail casino
- Seating is guaranteed at both roulette and baccarat
- Limited hours
- Slower than online blackjack
- Min bet may be lower than a traditional retail casino, but higher than a traditional online casino.
Frequently asked questions
What is the age requirement to play at NJ online casinos?
Just like a traditional retail casino, you must be 21 years of age or older.
What is a progressive jackpot?
A progressive jackpot slot takes a small amount from each wager across all users and puts it into a shared top prize that can be won by any player.
Do online casinos share wallets with online sportsbooks?
Online casinos that have an online sportsbook associated with them do share “wallets”. This means if you make a deposit on either online casino or sportsbook, you can use the funds for both.
Are online casino games rigged?
No! All online casino slots and table games go through rigorous testing to verify integrity and fairness by the NJDGE.
Can I try online slots without using my account balance?
Yes! Most sites have a free play option or you can try one of the many welcome bonuses on this page to test out online casinos with free money offered.
Do online casinos offer loyalty programs?
Most online casinos offer some sort of loyalty program where you can earn bonuses, free spins, comped hotel and restaurant packages and more.
How do I register for an online casino?
You will find links for our top picks on this page to bring you to the individual online casino registration pages. Once you are there, simply enter your information to verify your identity. Most sites take only a few minutes from when you start the process until when you can start playing your favorite casino games.
Can I play NJ online casinos on my phone?
Yes! The majority of online casinos have mobile apps for both iOS and Android powered devices.
How do the NJ online casinos know that I am inside New Jersey?
Online casinos use geo-location software that utilizes either your phones GPS system or your computer’s available wi-fi to pinpoint your location. To play on any NJ online casino, you have to be within state lines, but you do not need to be an NJ resident. Deposits and withdrawals can be done from out of state, but in order to place bets, you must physically be in New Jersey.
New Jersey online gambling software providers
Software providers have to go through the same rigorous testing as online casino providers. The following studios all passed with flying colors and are what we consider the top game providers in the U.S. market.
NetEnt is the most popular gaming software provider in the U.S., and for good reason. NetEnt games have the feel of a modern video game with high-quality graphics, creative storylines, and high returns. A few examples of NetEnt slots are Divine Fortune, Blood Suckers, Jack Hammer and Gonzo’s Quest.
IGT has been one of the most popular slot retailers in the world since 1980 and has brought many of its retail titles to the online market, including Wheel of Fortune, Wolf Run, Cleopatra, Blackjack, Cats and of course the Game King Video Poker Suite.
From the company that brought us Dance Dance Revolution and Metal Gear Solid come some of the most popular slots in the NJ market including China Shores, Fortune Stacks, Chilli Chilli Fire, Gypsy Fire and Red Fortune.
NextGen produces some of the most popular titles in the NJ market including StarMania, Olympus Thunder, PandaMania and Jack’s Beanstalk.
Why Play at New Jersey Online Casinos?
- Bonuses, bonuses and more bonuses: New Jersey is the biggest online casino market in the U.S., which means there is a lot of competition. When casinos compete, you win in the form of free money, deposit matches, free spins and risk-free play.
- Brands you can trust: Every online casino is tied to an in-state retail casino or racetrack, so you can play your favorite casino games in your own living room.
- Safe and Secure gaming: All online casinos and gaming providers undergo rigorous testing and must be approved by the NJDGE, the same agency that oversees all retail gambling in the state. Once approved, the NJDGE continues to monitor and test all sites to keep all games fair and safe.
- Simple and secure banking: A legal, regulated gaming environment comes with a ton of advantages, but none more important than keeping your money safe. Options like eChecks, PayPal and debit cards give you the peace of mind that all transaction are safe and secure.
- Portability: Almost all online casinos have mobile apps available for iOS and Android so you can bring your favorite casino games wherever you go in New Jersey.
- Beginner-friendly: Walking up to a blackjack or roulette table for the first time can be a bit intimidating and expensive. Online casino games have all the rules laid out for you, so you can play at your own pace and play for pennies while you learn the game.
Why not play at New Jersey Online Casinos?
- Lack of social interaction: Many people enjoy the social interaction they find at a retail casino.
How to deposit and cash out
Just like the online casino and gaming software providers, all payment processors must get approval from NJDGE. Banking options will vary per site but the following are the most popular options:
- Online Banking Bill Pay
- Cash at the Casino Cage
- Wire Transfers
- Online Banking
- Cash at the Casino Cage
- Wire Transfers
If you ever feel like you may be getting in over your head, all NJ online casinos have several options to help. Whether you need a break, or want to limit deposits or wagers, you can find an option in the responsible gaming section of the site.
Limits can be changed at any time, but will not take affect until the specified time period concludes. Options for limiting your gaming include:
- Time limits: Time limits allow you to restrict the number of hours a day you can spend on the site. The timer starts when you first login and stops if you logout. You will be notified when your time limit is up and no more wagers will be able to be placed.
- Spending limits: This features allows you to set a stop-loss per day, week or month on your net losses in the specified time frame.
- Wagering limits: Wagering limits will allow you to set a maximum total for wagering by day, week or month. You will be alerted when you reach your limit.
- Deposit limits: You can set your total deposit limits per day, week or month.
- Self Suspension: This feature can be used as a “cooling off” period, where access to your account will be suspended for the time period specified.
- Self-exclusion: This option permanently suspends all activity from your account and can not be reversed.
Other Responsible Gaming resources
- Problem gambling quiz
- 1800-GAMBLER gives you options to call, text or live chat.
- New Jersey Council for Problem Gambling
- NJ.GOV Problem gambling website
- Gamblers Anonymous
New Jersey is a pioneer in the legal U.S. online gambling market. It was the first to launch back in 2013 and has the most online casino choices and the biggest bonuses.
Playing in a regulated online market gives customers the peace of mind to know that games are fair, their money is safe, while adding the flexibility to play anywhere and anytime in the Garden State. There has never been a better time to take advantage of the generous casino bonuses outlined on this page as your favorite online casinos compete for your business.