In October 2017, Pennsylvania cleared the way for legal online casino gambling, with the industry kicking off nearly two years later.
Best PA online casinos – June 2022
Now PA gamblers can enjoy their favorite casino games, like slots, table games and even online poker, via internet-connected computers and mobile apps anywhere in the state.
This is your guide to everything related to online casino gambling in the Keystone State. We’ll cover who can play, where, and how you can get started. Plus, most importantly… where you’ll find the best game selection and best bonuses.
Who is able to play?
There are three requirements for online casino gaming eligibility in Pennsylvania. Two are standard, that you’ll find in pretty much every state with a form of online gambling: age and location. The last is a bit quirky, and unique to the PA market.
- As far as age is concerned, anyone 21+ is eligible to play. It’s the same age requirement for brick-and-mortar casinos in PA, and most of the United States.
- Second, you must be physically located within the state of Pennsylvania to play. Players must download a geolocation software plugin to their computer to prove they’re in the state. If you’re using a mobile device you can simply give the casino app access to your location services and use the built in GPS chip. You don’t have to live in-state, you just have to be within the state’s borders when you play.
- Last, when legalizing online casino games, Pennsylvania elected to bar customers from playing in an online casino while they’re physically located inside of an actual, physical casino. Its unusual and unorthodox, but it keeps customers playing in-person when possible. Geolocation software will fence off an area around the casinos to make sure this condition is met.
PA online casino promo codes
|Online Casino||Promo Code||Retail Partner||Launch|
|BetMGM Casino PA||HANDLE||Independent License||Dec. 2020|
|FanDuel Casino PA||Just click here||Valley Forge||Jan. 24, 2020|
|PokerStars Casino PA||Just click here||Mount Airy||Sep. 4, 2019|
|DraftKings Casino PA||Just click here||Meadows||April 28, 2020|
|Unibet Casino PA||Just click here||Mohegan Sun Pocono||Nov. 13, 2019|
|BetRivers Casino PA||Just click here||Rivers Pittsburgh||Jan. 15, 2020|
|Hollywood Casino PA||Just click here||Hollywood Casino||July 15, 2019|
|SugarHouse Casino PA||Just click here||Rivers Philadelphia||July 17, 2019|
|Borgata Casino PA||SHNJ100||Rivers Philadelphia||Feb. 24, 2021|
|BetAmerica Casino PA||-||Presque Isle Downs||Jan. 30, 2020|
|Parx Casino PA||-||Parx Casino||July 15, 2019|
|Caesar's Casino PA||-||Harrah's Philadelphia||April 21, 2020|
|WInd Creek Casino PA||-||Wind Creek Casino||August 1, 2020|
|PlayLive!||-||Live! Casino Philadelphia||August 12, 2020|
Types of Welcome Bonuses
Welcome bonus packages are an excellent way to add more value to your online casino play. Think of it like a stadium giveaway, but instead of getting a sweet bobblehead on your way in to the ballpark, the online casino is giving you money to sign up and start playing.
In a crowded casino landscape, welcome bonuses are a great way for operators to differentiate from one another and compete for your business. Any new casino customer is typically eligible to take full advantage of a welcome offer.
There are a few different types of welcome bonuses that are commonly found in Pennsylvania.
No-Deposit / Free Money Bonus
No-deposit offers are a big draw in the online casino world because it’s essentially free cash in your pocket. After registering on a new online casino with a no-deposit offer you’ll have the funds waiting for you in your account as soon as you log-in. Use them to test out the casino, on the house, and get a feel for the games. No-deposit bonuses are typically small, under $30, but free is free.
First Deposit Bonus
Deposit bonuses are designed to incentivize players to put up some of their own money into play. Upon depositing to the casino you will receive a bonus equal to the advertised percentage of the deposit, to the max amount listed.
For example, with a 100% up to $300 bonus, if you deposit $300 you would receive a $300 bonus. First deposit match bonuses are where you’ll get the most value out of a welcome package.
Some casinos are electing to offer cash refunds in lieu of a deposit bonus. A cash refund gives you a nice backup plan if your first foray in the casino go awry. They are typically offered for a specific amount of time, like 24 hours, where you can lose money and then receive it back as a bonus at the end of the day – up to the max amount.
Always Read the Fine Print: Terms & Conditions
Be sure you check the terms & conditions for every offer because there are usually some strings attached to the deal. For free money offers you’ll likely need to complete a play-through requirement by wagering the amount of the bonus at least once within the casino.
Without a play-through on a free money offer, customers could potentially sign up and cash out immediately without ever playing a game – which would be a fairly ridiculous promotion for the casino to offer.
First deposit match bonuses typically come with a play-through as well, but there may be a few more conditions. Customers will usually need to wager a certain minimum amount of money in the casino for every dollar of bonus that they receive before the bonus can be cashed out.
Additionally, keep an eye out for qualified games. Some bonuses may only count play at slots, or specific table games towards a bonuses clearance rate, so be sure you know what counts for what before you start.
Last, don’t forget about the expiration date. It may be a week, 30 days, 90 days, etc., but most bonuses will eventually expire. If that happens, you’re leaving value on the table.
Our Picks: Top 3 PA Online Casinos
Of the growing lineup of available casinos in Pennsylvania, a few have risen to the top. Here are our picks for the top 3 currently operating within the state.
- FanDuel Casino – One of the biggest names in Daily Fantasy Sports is now amongst the top casino operators in Pennsylvania (the sportsbook, too). Through its partnership with Valley Forge, FanDuel has a lineup of popular games, like Divine Fortune, that rank among the best in the market. The 24 hour, $200 cash refund is valuable in that it guarantees that your first casino action won’t set you back.
- Unibet Casino – The Malta-based operator has arrived in Pennsylvania with an excellent product. In business more than 20 years, Unibet knows how to run an online casino. Unibet has excellent library of slots, a great mobile experience, and offers both free money ($10) in addition to a match bonus on sign up.
- Hollywood Casino – Hollywood Casino was joint-first to market in Pennsylvania and offers a well rounded product. The $10 no-deposit bonus is one of the best in the state, and there’s a $502 deposit match bonus to serve as the icing on the cake. Hollywood offers online customers access to the MyChoice rewards program which incorporates all of Penn National’s gaming properties across the country.
Your PA online casino games options
Pennsylvania law allows for online casinos to host all of the most popular casino games. From table games, to slots, to live dealer options, whatever you’re after it’s likely someone will have it.
You can play hundreds of different online slots in the state of Pennsylvania. This includes both regular games, and progressive jackpot slots. With jackpot slots, every time someone pulls the virtual lever a portion of their bet is added to a progressive prize pool. It grows and grows, and once it hits… it really hits.
There are many different progressive slots in Pennsylvania, however, the most popular is definitely Divine Fortune. Created by NetEnt, Divine Fortune has five reels, three rows, and 20 pay lines for each spin. It’s easy to earn free spins as players attempt to collect Bonus Coins and hit the progressive jackpot. Owing to its popularity, the progressive prize pool is known for getting massive. You can currently find Divine Fortune in almost every online casino in the state.
Other popular slot titles in Pennsylvania include Cleopatra, Baywatch, Jumanji, Gonzo’s Quest, Guns N’ Roses, and more. Slot catalogs are easy to locate within your favorite casino, have a look and pick your favorites.
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular table games in the state.
- Blackjack: Often the biggest draws for casinos, blackjack is all about getting to 21 — without going over of course. PA online casinos will have a lot of different versions of blackjack and other similar games, allowing players to search for more favorable rules. For example, a game where the dealer stands on soft 17 and has fewer decks in play. Available side bets include Lucky Lucky, Lucky Ladies, 21+3, and Perfect Pair.
- Baccarat: A popular table game due to a lower house edge, players will bet on whose cards will be closest to the magic number, 9, when added.
- Craps: Craps is a great addition to online casinos. It’s easy to place bets and roll the virtual dice. The rules aren’t tough, but It can be a little intimidating to figure out craps in-person. Therefore, being able to learn the ropes online, with instruction, is a great option.
- Roulette: Roulette has a ton of different bets available, including colors, odds, evens, high numbers, low numbers, specific numbers, etc. Whatever bet you choose, everything rides on a spin of the wheel. Pennsylvania online casinos offer numerous roulette games, including European Roulette, French Roulette, or Roulette Advanced which are played with a wheel featuring just one zero, decreasing the house edge. Traditional American Roulette with two zeros is also easy to find.
- Poker Games: Casino Poker Games aren’t as prevalent yet in Pennsylvania as in neighboring New Jersey. Staples like Caribbean Stud and Let It Ride are more of a rarity. Video Poker titles from company’s like Game King do exist, but we hope will become more commonplace as the industry matures.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games are unique, if you haven’t played one, they’re certainly worth your time. Instead of playing online with a computer running the show, live dealer games are run through a real person, using real cards.
There’s a professionally produced video feed operating out of a secure gaming studio that produces live coverage of your dealer and table. Through a chat platform, you can interact with the dealer directly as they conduct the game, creating a social component you won’t experience elsewhere in online casino gaming.
Game selection for live dealer games is typically a little smaller, but casinos will typically offer the most popular table games including blackjack, baccarat, roulette, and a few others.
Top Software Providers
Pennsylvania casinos are fortunate to be able to offer games from some of the hottest tech developers in the industry. Some of the best include:
- NetEnt: Known for Divine Fortune, amongst other slots. NetEnt also offers numerous versions of roulette and blackjack, making it one of the most well represented tech providers in the state.
- IGT: IGT offers Blackjack tables, Game King Video Poker games, roulette, baccarat, and popular slots like Cleopatra, Wolf Run, and Cats.
- Everi Games: Slots like Zoltar Speaks, El Dorado, Triple Threat, and Double Jackpot are all a part of the Everi Games catalog in Pennsylvania.
What's the PA age requirement for online casino gaming?
Twenty-one (21). If you’re not old enough, you can’t play. It’s as simple as that.
What is a progressive jackpot?
A progressive jackpot gets bigger every time the game is played by any/all players. The more attention the game gets, the more it’s due to pay out. Casino games with a progressive jackpot offer the potential for the largest paydays.
Can I play from my phone or tablet?
Absolutely, that’s one of the main benefits of online gaming – it’s truly mobile. You can play online from both Android and iOS phones and tablets.
Are the games safe? How do I know it's not rigged?
All PA online casinos operate with a license issued by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board. As the regulatory body in the state, it’s their job to guarantee that every casino offers fair, legitimate games that fall under state law. You can trust PA online casinos.
Can I play for free?
You actually can. Casinos will allow you to demo any of their games, free of charge. You can’t win real money, but if you just want to play or learn a new game, you can play for free.
Do online casinos have loyalty programs?
They do, though some will inherently be more valuable than others.
How do I sign up?
While the process will be unique to each casino, registration is typically a simple process. Customers will be asked to choose a username, password, and submit their email. Personal details are also required, including name, address, and the last four digits of your SSN to verify the rest of the info is legit. After filling in a few simple data boxes, you’re good to go.
What are the taxes and fees in Pennsylvania?
PA is amongst the most expensive state’s for online gaming operators. Online licenses cost $4 million for each vertical (slots/tablegames/poker) – or $10 million for all. Slots are taxed at 54%, with table games coming in at 16%.
Positives for Pennsylvania Online Casinos
Why should you take your action to an online casino in Pennsylvania? There’s a lot of reasons to ante up with a regulated site.
- Safety: The best thing about playing with a legal casino is that it’s completely safe. The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board’s watchful eye guarantees that everything is as advertised. Unlike an offshore casino or sportsbook, the casinos are answerable to the regulatory board and have valuable licenses at stake. Games must be fair and there is a dispute resolution process if you have a complaint.
- Bonuses: Retail casinos rarely will give away free cash to a patron who has yet to visit the casinos, or the kind of added value that comes from a sign-up bonus. Online, you’ll be rewarded from your first hand or spin.
- Options: Legal casino sites are constantly competing with one another to try and win you over. Don’t like the game selection, deposit and withdrawal methods (including PayPal at most sites) or overall feel of your current casino? Try out another – you’ve got choices.
- Quality Tech: Regulated Pennsylvania online casinos have partnered with some of the leading tech providers in the gaming industry including IGT, Scientific Games, Rush Street, and more. The available games are well made, fun, and most importantly – safe.
- Easy Banking: While offshore sites may rely on cryptocurrency or other non-mainstream methods for deposits and withdrawals, the legal PA sites make it easy with plenty of simple to use options. Use your credit card, bank transfer, eWallet, etc. You’re never more than a few taps of the keyboard from getting in the game.
So what don’t we like? While generally a well rounded industry, there are just a handful of negatives.
- High Taxes/Fees: It’s expensive for operators to get set up, and run an online casino in PA. This means there’s a little less money to go around for promotions because the sites are working with finer margins.
- Restricted Access from B+M Casinos: As mentioned above, it’s a really unusual stipulation that you can’t gamble online from inside of a brick-and-mortar casino.
Banking at PA Online Casino Sites
Online casino sites in Pennsylvania only deal with legitimate, trusted payment processors. You needn’t worry for a moment about the security of your funds. Every cashier in the PA marketplace will look a little different, so be sure to fire up your favorite site and see what options are there for you. Generally speaking there’s a lot of common ground. Expect to see:
- Wire Transfers
- Online banking
- PayNearMe (Deposit at 7Eleven, CVS, Family Dollar, etc.)
- Credit Cards like Visa and MasterCard (often rejected)
- Cash at the Casino
After you hit it big, there’s plenty of options to withdraw your money from the online casino in a timely fashion:
- Cash at the Casino
For the cash at the casino option, you just need to look up the retail partner for your online casino. You can drive over, visit the cashier in-person, and either deposit cash or withdraw from your account.
The state of Pennsylvania, and its Gaming Control Board take responsible gaming very seriously. All licensees are required to undergo mandatory training programs, both for employees and management, on responsible gaming and any compulsive gambling related issues.
Every casino that operates in the state will have a designated responsible gaming page that is easy to find and will include links to resources, both nationwide, and locally for PA players. It’s easy to set various limits on a casino account to guarantee that you don’t overextend. You can restrict the amount you can deposit, how much you can wager at a time, how long you can play, etc.
For customers that may feel they’ve lost control or have exceeded healthy enjoyment, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board maintains a list of players that have voluntarily self-excluded themselves from casino games. Anyone on the list is not allowed to play – period. In PA you can self-exclude for a period of 1 year, 5 years, or for life.
Official resources for Pennsylvania gamblers include:
- The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board Office of Compulsive and Problem Gambling
- The Pennsylvania Self-Exclusion Program
- Council on Compulsive Gambling of Pennsylvania
Parting Shots for PA
As the fourth state to legalize online gambling, and by far the largest by population among them, there is major potential in the Pennsylvania gaming market. Prize pools will reach new heights as players log-in to play from around the state. However, the high tax rates on operators will make it more difficult for them to return value to players through loyalty programs and other promotions since there isn’t as much meat on the bone.
Across the board the Pennsylvania market offers top-tier software and game selection, which makes for a fun and efficient gaming experience. We look forward to monitoring the evolution of this rapidly growing industry and will update accordingly to offer an accurate picture of the current Pennsylvania online casino scene.