SportsHandle.com is back for more podcasting. “The Hedge – Why I Gamble with Jimmy Shapiro” welcomes Las Vegas handicapping and sports radio legend “Smokin” Dave Cokin (on Twitter @davecokin) for Part II of our conversation. (Part I is here.) The podcast is right here, followed by time codes for specific topics.
Topics and Time Codes for Episode Five of ‘The Hedge: Why I Gamble With Jimmy Shapiro’ Include:
- 1:38: How the sports service industry changed once the internet became big and how do you break into the picks business in today’s world.
- 3:20: Why sell the picks if you’re such a good handicapper?
- 8:00: Dave tells a story of a dream picking run he went on and how it didn’t equate to sales and then Dave and Jimmy discussed how people that pay for picks typically find a way to lose despite buying picks that win.
- 14:00: Despite living in Las Vegas, Dave hasn’t had to go to an actual casino to place a bet in over twenty years.
- 15:00: Dave’s process and routine for handicapping games.
- 18:10: Dave’s best piece of gambling advice.
- 19:25: Gambling trends on games and if they’re of value.
- 21:30: Dave talks about his success betting MLB and how it’s much tougher than it used to be because of the reliance on bullpens these days.
- 22:30: Dave talks about actually having success betting the Canadian Football League and why that is so as well as how much success he had betting the USFL back in the days — and how he’s still pissed at Donald Trump for being the impetus behind the league shutting down.
- 24:00: Dave’s biggest bet and the result of that bet.
- 29:00: Is legalized gambling nationwide, good or bad for Las Vegas?