West Virginia has five venues in place –including commercial casinos and racetracks — and all were open for business by the end of 2018 — though two shut down in March 2019 and as of Aug. 28, 2019, there was no hard target for when they would reopen.
Best Sportsbooks in West Virginia
Where You Can Bet on Sports in West Virginia
- Sportsbook operator: Partnered with William Hill US.
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: Coming soon.
- The facility and betting options: You can place wagers on the following sports at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races: football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, auto racing, rugby, cycling, boxing and MMA, and cricket. Professional and collegiate betting options will be available. Types of wagers include straight bets, parlays, match-ups, futures, props and in-play betting.
- Sportsbook features: High-top table seating – with individual viewing stations and lounge seating coming soon – 24 odds-display monitors, and 50 feet of wall space dedicated to 80-inch TVs for viewing the best games. Located just off the casino floor near the high limit slots area and close to Skybox Sports Bar.
Stop by, we are now OFFICIALLY taking bets at #TheSportsbook at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races! Don't forget to come by Sat. (9/1) for our Grand Opening celebration with Joe @Theismann7! Sportsbook opens at 8am, festivities start at 11am! #atlast #sportsbettingishere pic.twitter.com/rH8vODl1cO
— Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races (@HollywoodCCTR) August 30, 2018
The Casino Club at the Greenbrier
300 W. Main Street, White Sulphur Springs, WV
- Sportsbook operator: Partnered with FanDuel
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: Launched Aug. 26, 2019.
- The facility and betting options: You can place wagers on all of the major professional sports, including baseball, soccer, football, basketball, hockey, college sports and golf at the Casino Club. Types of wagers include straight bets, parlays, match-ups, futures, props and in-play betting.
- Sportsbook features: The sportsbook is outfitted club chairs and 21 large-screen televisions. According to the sportsbook’s webpage, it will offer international dining options as well as live entertainment. Patrons are required to wear coats (men) and dresses (women) in the casino after 7 p.m. This is a membership-only casino.
Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack and Resort
1420 Mountaineer Circle, New Cumberland, WV
- Sportsbook operator: Partnered with DraftKings.
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: Launched Aug. 28, 2019.
Sportsbooks Prepping to Open (as of Jan. 28, 2020)
According to Delaware North and the West Virginia Lottery, Delaware North struck a deal with IGT on Jan. 28, 2020 to operate its mobile sports betting platforms. There is no specific timeline for when sports betting will be available via retail and online at the Mardi Gras and Wheeling Island sportsbooks, but lottery chief John Meyers said “very, very soon,” in late January. Delaware North initially went live with physical sportsbooks at the casinos and online with its BetLucky.com app on Dec. 27, 2018, but shut down operations in March 2019 due to a contract dispute with then-partner Miomni.
Mardi Gras Casino and Resort
1 Greyhound Drive, Cross Lanes, WV
Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack
1 S Stone Street, Wheeling, WV
What’s The Law In West Virginia And How’d It Come About?
In early March, West Virginia became the first state to legalize sports betting during the 2018 legislative term. Pennsylvania legalized it in 2017. West Virginia passed bills in both the Senate and the House within two weeks of each other. The West Virginia Lottery Sports Wagering Act gives the state lottery regulatory and licensure responsibilities.
The state will allow existing casino and racetrack licensees — there are five of them — to apply for licenses along with a $100,000 application fee, requiring renewal every five years at the same rate. The state will levy a 10 percent tax on operators’ gross sports wagering revenue.
The new law does not include the “integrity fee” the pro leagues have been pushing for, although Governor Jim Justice walked back on that and forced a summit, creating a bit of a fiasco. Justice suggested that the state welcomes a “partnership” with the pro sports leagues and that he would consider calling a special session of the legislature to amend the law. Didn’t happen.
As far as online betting, the new West Virginia law will allow for online sports wagering, and BetLucky.com became the first to launch mobile sports betting, when it did so on Dec. 27, 2018. As in every other state, patrons will have to be located in West Virginia to participate in mobile or online betting. On June 21, the West Virginia Lottery Commission issued the WV sports betting regulations.
West Virginia’s commercial casinos are located on the outskirts of the state. All of them are a relatively short drive either from neighboring Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland or Pennsylvania. Three are owned and operated by national gaming/casino companies (Delaware North, Hollywood Casino and Eldorado Resorts), all which own properties in other states.