SportsHandle.com is your place for everything you need and want to know about legal West Virginia sports betting. In March 2018, West Virginia passed a law to make sports betting legal (Senate Bill 415).
Best Sportsbooks in West Virginia
West Virginia had five venues in place — including both commercial casinos and racetracks — and all were open for business by the end of 2018.
|Betting App Apple Store + Google Play Scores||WV Sign Up Offer|
| BetMGM Sportsbook|
4.8 Stars / 140.2k Ratings
4.5 Stars / 16.4k Reviews
|Get a $50 Bonus Bet + up to $1K Back in Bonus Bets|
| FanDuel Sportsbook|
4.8 Stars / 873.6k Ratings
4.7 Stars / 166k Reviews
|No Sweat First Bet up to $3,000|
| Caesars Sportsbook|
4.6 Stars / 38.5 Ratings
4.5 Stars / 18.1k Reviews
|Up to $1250 First Bet Bonus|
West Virginia Online Sportsbooks
There are currently eight active online sportsbooks in West Virginia, with plenty more expected to join as time progresses. Each of the five licensed casinos or racetracks in the state is allowed to host up three skins. Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races is currently the only licensee in the state to distribute all three of their skins, now hosting DraftKings, PointsBet, and Barstool.
|FanDuel Sportsbook||The Greenbrier||IGT||Aug. 26, 2019|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races||SBTech||Aug. 28, 2019|
|BetMGM||The Greenbrier||IGT||Jan. 21, 2020|
|Betly Sportsbook||Mardi Gras, Wheeling Island Casinos||IGT||Sept. 2, 2020|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Mountaineer Casino||Liberty||Aug. 4, 2021|
|PointsBet||Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races||Banach Technology||Aug. 12, 2021|
|Barstool Sportsbook||Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races||SportsGenius||Nov. 22, 2021|
|BetRivers Sportsbook||Mountaineer Casino||Kambi||Jun. 8, 2022|
FanDuel was the first to arrive in the state in August of 2019, and quickly became a fan favorite, as FanDuel has a tendency to do. FanDuel is live in over a dozen states, and their packed promotional schedule, easy to use functionality and generous welcome bonus makes it a no brainer as to why they are the top sportsbook in nearly every US market that they enter. They entered the state via partnership with The Greenbrier, a private club in White Sulpher Springs.
What can be said about FanDuel, can also be said about DraftKings. Having their roots in the DFS space, DraftKings has made the transition to sports betting look easy. Active in every legal state in the US and boasting a promotional schedule that never stops giving, DraftKings Sportsbook is among the frontrunners in all markets. DraftKings makes their way to West Virginia via partnership with the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town and can be found on both your computer and mobile app.
BetMGM is the online gambling wing of MGM international, and has invested heavily over the past few years in order to become a top contender in the US sports betting market. With no retail casino in West Virginia, BetMGM has partnered with The Greenbrier as well and is available on both your computer and mobile device. BetMGM has weekly free bets, occasional reload bonuses and their online sportsbook is tied in with their retail rewards program.
Betly Sportsbook went live as the retail sports betting provider for both the Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras casinos in January 2020. Back in March 2019, both locations were forced to temporarily shut down all sports betting services due to a contract dispute with former partner Miomni. This put an end to the ‘BetLucky’ brand that previously handled both location’s sports betting operations.
As soon as Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras were cleared to resume offering retail sports betting at their casinos, the brick-and-mortar sportsbooks were relaunched under the Betly Sportsbook name. A pair of Betly Sportsbook mobile apps tailored to each casino location would launch nine months later on September 2, 2020. Exclusive to West Virginia, Betly Sportsbook is an extremely underrated option for Mountaineer bettors.
Caesars Sportsbook wouldn’t launch in West Virginia until August 5, 2021, after they bought out the world-famous bookmaking company, William Hill. Following the acquisition, Caesars would be able to operate in West Virginia through a partnership with the Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort for both online and retail sports betting. Mountaineer’s brick-and-mortar sportsbook, which originally launched back in November of 2018 under William Hill, was rebranded to Caesars Sportsbook in 2021. Since their launch in WV, Caesars continues to be one of the premier bookmaking options available in the state.
PointsBet was yet another major sportsbook brand to bring its services to West Virginia in 2021. The Australia-based bookmaker surfaced shortly after Caesars launched, going live one week later on August 12. Equipped with their unique ‘PointsBetting’ offering, this household name will quickly show bettors why they deserve a spot in your mobile betting rotation.
The most recent of the bunch to go live in West Virginia is none other than the Barstool Sportsbook. With obvious ties to Penn National Gaming, many assumed for quite some time that Barstool would launch in West Virginia through a partnership with Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races, who is owned by PNG. They did exactly that, going live on November 22, 2021, just one day ahead of the NFL’s Thanksgiving Thursday slate. PNG followed up the launch by rebranding their retail sportsbook at the Hollywood Casino to ‘The Barstool Sportsbook at Charles Town Races.’ Fully loaded with fun props curated by your favorite creators, the Barstool Sportsbook offers a different experience than your standard cookie-cutter online sportsbook.
Other sportsbooks that may be coming soon
Other than those listed above, there hasn’t been much other news about any new partnerships or online sportsbooks committing to joining the West Virginia sportsbook market – but that doesn’t mean that we are closed for business. Each retail casino can have up to three online skins, meaning that we could see as many as 15 online sportsbooks being offered in the state by the time everything unfolds.
While we do see quite a few of the top online sportsbooks already live in the state, competition is always good for the consumer and there are plenty of suitors floating around the US market. Other potential sportsbooks that could launch include:
- WynnBET: There are not many names as synonymous with gambling in the world as Wynn, and the same class and elegance you expect to see in a Wynn Resort has moved online in several states via the WynnBET Online Sportsbook. On November 2, 2021, the company announced that they obtained market access in West Virginia through a partnership with Delaware North. This deal infers that WynnBET will eventually occupy one of the online skins at Mardi Gras or Wheeling Island.
- Unibet: One of the top European online sportsbooks, Unibet first made landfall in New Jersey and PA and has its sights set on expanding their US reach, which may eventually land them in West Virginia.
- Fox Bet: The result of a landmark deal between The Stars Group and FOX Sports, FOX Bet may find their way into West Virginia eventually, but are usually not one of the first to go live in new markets.
- bet365: Another European behemoth that is making their way to the states, bet365 has the power and resources to be a big player in the West Virginia market if they are able to secure a partnership.
- theScore Bet: theScore Bet was recently purchased by Penn National, who also happens to own Hollywood Casino. I would put the odds on theScore Bet coming to West Virginia in the near future at -300.
Where You Can Bet on Sports in West Virginia
Each of West Virginia’s five casino and racetrack properties is now home to a permanent retail sportsbook. The two Delaware North properties in West Virginia, Mardi Gras and Wheeling Island, both went live with retail sports betting in 2018, and were then first to market in the state for online betting in December of the same year with the BetLucky app. However, due to a contract dispute with then-partner Miomni, its run was short lived. Operations stopped in March 2019. After almost a year and much speculation, Delaware North struck a deal with IGT on Jan. 28, 2020 to operate its sports betting platforms. Retail sportsbooks relaunched at both locations under the Betly name on January 31st, 2020, just in time for the Super Bowl.
Read our breakdown of each book:
- Sportsbook operator: The Barstool Sportsbook (Penn National Gaming)
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: DraftKings, PointsBet, Barstool
- The facility and betting options: You can place wagers on the following sports at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races: football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, auto racing, rugby, cycling, boxing and MMA, and cricket. Professional and collegiate betting options are available. Types of wagers include straight bets, parlays, match-ups, futures, props and in-play betting.
- Sportsbook features: High-top table seating – with individual viewing stations and lounge seating is available – 24 odds-display monitors, and 50 feet of wall space dedicated to 80-inch TVs for viewing the best games. Located just off the casino floor near the high limit slots area and close to Skybox Sports Bar.
As many were already aware, the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races is a Penn National Gaming property. Following Penn National’s $163 million acquisition of a 36% stake in Barstool Sports in January 2020, the location’s retail sportsbook underwent a rebrand to become The Barstool Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino Charles Town in 2021.
Stop by, we are now OFFICIALLY taking bets at #TheSportsbook at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races! Don't forget to come by Sat. (9/1) for our Grand Opening celebration with Joe @Theismann7! Sportsbook opens at 8am, festivities start at 11am! #atlast #sportsbettingishere pic.twitter.com/rH8vODl1cO
— Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races (@Hollywood_CTown) August 30, 2018
The Casino Club at the Greenbrier
101 W. Main Street, White Sulphur Springs, WV
- Sportsbook operator: FanDuel
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: FanDuel, BetMGM
- The facility and betting options: You can place wagers on all of the major professional sports, including baseball, soccer, football, basketball, hockey, college sports and golf at the Casino Club. Types of wagers include straight bets, parlays, match-ups, futures, props and in-play betting.
- Sportsbook features: The sportsbook is outfitted with club chairs and 21 large-screen televisions. It also offers international dining options as well as live entertainment. Patrons are required to wear coats (men) and dresses (women) in the casino after 7 p.m. Of note, The Greenbrier is a private casino and is only accessible to overnight guests at the hotel or members of the Casino Club.
Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack and Resort
1420 Mountaineer Circle, New Cumberland, WV
- Sportsbook operator: Caesars
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: Caesars Sportsbook
- The facility and betting options: Caesars Sportsbook at the Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort is open seven days a week, taking straight bets, futures, parlays, props, teasers, and round robins. Featured sports include football, basketball, baseball, hockey, racing, and combat sports like MMA and boxing.
- Sportsbook features: The Caesars Sportsbook brings a Vegas-like sportsbook experience to West Virginia, offering comfortable seats, a wall of TVs for easy viewing, and a convenient betting counter with a full sheet at your disposal. It’s an ideal facility for making a wager and following the action.
Mardi Gras Casino and Resort
1 Greyhound Drive, Cross Lanes, WV
- Sportsbook operator: IGT
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: Betly Sportsbook
- The facility and betting options: Mardi Gras customers have the ability to bet on all major sports: football, basketball, baseball, college contests, UFC, etc.
- Sportsbook features: The Betly Sportsbook offers both teller windows and on-property betting kiosks for easy access. Bettors can enjoy sweating events on its enormous wall of TV screens, from available plush lounge chairs, next to a fully stocked bar. What more could you ask for?
Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack
1 S Stone Street, Wheeling, WV
- Sportsbook operator: IGT
- Mobile/Web-based sportsbook: Betly Sportsbook
- The facility and betting options: Like the Mardi Gras location across the state, Wheeling Island offers a complete betting sheet with all major sports represented.
- Sportsbook features: Wheeling Island’s sportsbook features a multi-screen video wall, lounge chairs, high-top tables, and access to cocktails and beer at the nearby bar. Both teller windows and kiosks are available for placing bets.
West Virginia Sports Betting Promotions
A risk-free bet is a bet that will be refunded in site credit if you lose. This is one of the more common promotions to new players to instill some security if you lose your first bet. For example, if you deposit $250, sportsbooks may offer a $250 “risk-free” bet as a way to entice you to join their sportsbook.
If you choose to do so, you can bet your $250 on any game, and if you lose, you will receive $250 in free bets. If you win, you will start in the positive. Therefore, it classifies as a risk-free bet.
A free bet means you are not wagering with any of your real money. Many sportsbooks offer free bets when you make an account with them. If you win your bet, you will receive your money in winnings for free bets. For example, if you have a $10 free bet and place it on a game with +100 odds, you will receive $10, not $20 (free bet + winnings). If you lose, you don’t lose any of your money.
This is another common promotion where a sportsbook will match your initial deposit with the site credit. For example, a sportsbook can offer a 100% deposit bonus match up to $250. If you deposit $250, you will receive $250 in site credit to bet on their sportsbook.
Odds boosts are frequent among new and existing players. Sportsbooks can offer odds boosts to potentially entice bettors to wager on certain games or events. Furthermore, odds boosts are usually geographically-driven. For example, sportsbooks can boost odds on the Mountaineers before big games to attract West Virginians to bet on the game and create extra excitement.
What types of bets can I place?
Generally, there are not many restrictions as to what bets you can place and sports you can bet on. The only real restrictions are that you can not bet on college props, which seems to be a standard in the US market. Other than that, your options include:
- Moneyline: The simplest of bets, as you are just betting on who is going to win the game.
- Spread: The favorite will be giving points to the underdog to help even the playing field.
- Totals (Over/Under): Betting on how many total points will be scored in a match.
- Futures: Betting on an outcome that will be settled in the future such as World Series Champ or French Open winner.
- Props: Betting on outcomes of individual players or teams, such as how many yards Derrick Henry will run for or how many aces Nadal will have in a match.
- Alternative lines: Moving the line up or down on any particular bet, such as moving the spread of an NFL game from -1.5 to -4.5.
One way that online sportsbooks have been able to truly innovate is through live in-game betting. West Virginia sportsbooks have the ability to keep the bets coming even after the game has started. Bet on every pitch, every point, every down with constantly updating odds based on the action on the field.
As far as available markets to bet on, West Virginia sportsbooks have a wide range of betting options such as:
- Auto Racing
- Table Tennis
- and more!
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but just a taste of what you can bet on. Each sportsbook will have their own available betting markets, so check out our individual reviews or click through the table at the top of the page to check out the site itself.
The Latest West Virginia Sports Betting News
Virginia lawmakers approved a bill to add gambling addiction instruction to school curriculum, but similar efforts in Maryland and West Virginia have not been successful.
Problem gambling hotlines offer resources, support, and information with no judgment in attempt to manage addiction.
Company adds seventh live state to its portfolio, giving West Virginians a fifth mobile option for wagering
Neighboring States and Pro Teams Near West Virginia
Pro teams near WV
There are no professional teams in West Virginia, but some notable professional minor league teams such as the Princeton Rays, Bluefield Blue Jays and West Virginia Chaos garner plenty of excitement and support.
In addition, there are the Wheeling Nailers of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL). Below we will review some of the notable professional teams near West Virginia that residents may have a betting interest in.
PA teams: Eagles, Steelers, Sixers, Phillies, Pirates, Flyers, Penguins
Pennsylvania is a short drive away as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have all the major sports covered. Dating back to 2006, these cities have combined for seven championships. Pennsylvania became one of the first states to legalize sports betting as they launched retail betting in 2018 and legalized mobile betting in May of 2019.
No matter the time of the year, West Virginians can easily travel to either one of these destinations and enjoy a significant sports team while not worrying about whether they can wager their money or not. In Pennsylvania, you are covered.
MD teams: Ravens, Orioles, Commanders
Bordering the northeast of West Virginia is Maryland, home of delicious seafood and the birthplace of the US national anthem.
Although the four majors aren’t covered here, Maryland residents are covered with Orioles baseball and Ravens and Commanders excitement throughout their summers. Although the Orioles have been struggling in recent years, you’d be hard-pressed to find a more beautiful venue than Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
Although mobile sports betting was legalized in 2021, the wait continues for an official launch to legalize mobile sports betting in Maryland. Lucky enough for West Virginians, if you find yourself visiting town, retail sports betting launched in 2020 in Maryland.
NC teams: Panthers, Hurricanes, Hornets
Technically, North Carolina does not border West Virginia, but it’s an easy drive. Virginia does not have any professional teams, but we can review the pro teams in the Tar Heel state.
The Panthers have seen brighter days, but the Hornets are rising, and the Hurricanes are bonafide contenders. Unfortunately, tourists passing through North Carolina are not permitted to wager on mobile. The only sports betting allowed are at the state’s two casinos and retail sportsbooks located in the western portion of the state.
OH teams: Browns, Bengals, Guardians, Cavaliers, Reds, Blue Jackets
For the West Virginians that drive west, you’ll find yourself not very far away from the Midwest. Ohioans are very passionate about their sports teams and are coming off a big-time year.
The Guardians are a pleasant surprise, the Cavaliers made the play-in, and the Bengals erupted onto the NFL landscape and were minutes away from their first Super Bowl win.
TN teams: Titans, Grizzlies, Predators
Like North Carolina, Tennessee does not border West Virginia, but we’ll make another exception since Kentucky has no professional teams.
Tennessee sports teams are also really strong in three of the four major sports. In addition, there have been talks of a group led by former MLB player Dave Stewart seeking to purchase an expansion MLB team in Nashville.
Tennessee is another state that you can pass through where sports betting is legal. They were one of the first states to legalize post-PASPA.
College Teams in West Virginia
West Virginia University is the only Power 5 school to reside in the Mountain State. Since the state does not have any major professional sports teams, the residents go wild for the Mountaineers.
The city of Morgantown presents one of the more considerable home field/court advantages in the nation.
On the hardwood, the Mountaineers are coming off a tough season where they finished last in the Big 12. But under the tutelage of head coach Bob Huggins, West Virginia has consistently been an excellent program. Under Huggins, the Mountaineers have made 5 of the last 7 NCAA tournaments, including a Final Four appearance in 2010. A handful of WV alums have gone on to the NBA, including Joe Alexander, Devin Ebanks, and Jevon Carter. Most recently, Miles McBride was a high 2nd round selection in the 2021 NBA Draft and saw some playing time in New York this past season.
Like the basketball program, the WV college football team is coming off a tough year. Although they made a bowl game, they finished under .500 for the second time in three seasons. However, the Mountaineers have made a bowl game in 7 of the last eight seasons.
There are a ton of WVU players thriving in the NFL. Most notably, Rasul Douglas and Kyzir White are coming off career years, and former standout quarterback Geno Smith will have a chance to compete for the starting job in Seattle.
The other Division I squad in West Virginia is the Thundering Herd of Marshall.
The football team is coming off a solid 7-6 campaign. The Thundering Herd have made bowl games in five consecutive years. They’ve also fielded a fair amount of NFL talent with five draft picks in the last three seasons, including 2022 Kansas City Chief draft choice safety Nazeeh Johnson.
On the basketball court, Marshall is coming off head coach Dan D’Antoni’s worst year since he arrived in 2014. Under D’Antoni, Marshall produces one of the more high-flying octane offenses in the nation. Marshall has won at least 20 games in 3 of his last six years, including an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2018, where they upset Wichita State in the first round.
The only active Marshall alum in the NBA is Hassan Whiteside.
Banking options at WV Online Sportsbooks
If you ever bet on sports online before the advent of legal and regulated sports betting, you know the anxiety of never knowing if your money is safe, and if you were ever going to get your payouts. Those days are long gone now that sports betting is legal and is overseen by the same government entities that oversee all of the retail casinos in the state.
Every banking method is fully tested and approved by the state for safety, integrity and speed of processing. The majority of banking options are methods that most of us use every day, like swiping a debit card at the store or using PayPal to purchase a shirt online. Each site will have their own list of banking methods, with some of the more popular ones including:
- PayPal: If you shop online, you probably already have an account. Link a bank account or credit card and you all set for both deposits and withdrawals.
- Visa/MasterCard/Discover: This deposit only method (for now) is as easy as punching in your numbers and entering the amount you would like to load up and the funds will be in your account.
- Venmo: A newcomer to the online sportsbook game, you can send money to your favorite sportsbook the same way you pay friends and family.
- ACH/eCheck: Link a bank account via your checking account and routing numbers and the money will be processed through an approved third party processor, usually VIP Preferred.
- Online Banking: Same as you would pay bills online through your banks website, you can process deposits and withdrawals to your sportsbook account.
- Play+ Prepaid Cards: Get started right in the cashier, and you can instantly deposit by linking your bank account or credit card. A physical card will be mailed to you and can be used at any ATM or anywhere Discover is accepted.
- PayNearMe: Choose PayNear me and you will be given a barcode. Take this barcode to any CVS, Family Dollar or 7-11 along with cash and your money will be in your account within 15 minutes.
- Cash at retail casino cage: Another cash option, just bring your ID to the affiliated casino cage for quick and painless deposits and withdrawals.
What’s The Law In West Virginia And How’d It Come About?
In early March, West Virginia became the first state to legalize sports betting during the 2018 legislative term. Pennsylvania legalized it in 2017. West Virginia passed bills in both the Senate and the House within two weeks of each other. The West Virginia Lottery Sports Wagering Act gives the state lottery regulatory and licensure responsibilities.
The state allowed existing casino and racetrack licensees — there are five of them — to apply for licenses along with a $100,000 application fee, requiring renewal every five years at the same rate. The state levies a 10 percent tax on operators’ gross sports wagering revenue.
The new law does not include the “integrity fee” the pro leagues have been pushing for, although Governor Jim Justice walked back on that and forced a summit, creating a bit of a fiasco. Justice suggested that the state welcomes a “partnership” with the pro sports leagues and that he would consider calling a special session of the legislature to amend the law. Didn’t happen.
Online sports wagering is allowed under West Virginia law. BetLucky.com became the first to launch mobile sports betting on Dec. 27, 2018 (BetLucky later shut down, but they were still first!). As in other states, patrons have to be located in West Virginia to participate in mobile or online betting. On June 21, 2018, the West Virginia Lottery Commission issued the WV sports betting regulations.
West Virginia’s commercial casinos are located on the outskirts of the state. All of them are a relatively short drive either from neighboring Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland or Pennsylvania. Three are owned and operated by national gaming/casino companies (Delaware North, Penn National Gaming and Caesars Entertainment, Inc.), all which own properties in other states.
Regular sports bettors may be familiar with the term “Geolocating.”
For new bettors, each sportsbook you play on will use Geolocation software to ensure you are within a permitted area where you can sports wager.
Users will not be able to circumvent using Geolocation software such as using a VPN. Therefore, to have an optimal experience without any lagging, users should look for a strong WiFi connection or dependable service.
In addition, even if you are bordering a state that has legalized mobile sports betting, geolocation software can lag when it is near a state border. Therefore, users can ensure they are a few miles away from a state border for the best possible user experience.
Responsible Gaming Resources
Sports betting is meant for fun and entertainment. There’s nothing wrong with putting a few bucks on the side to wager on the big game. However, the addictive nature of gambling can make betting responsibly difficult.
If you feel that your betting is becoming out of your control, responsible gaming resources are at your disposal. Here are some of these tools that you can utilize:
Bettors can put themselves on the self-exclusion list if they feel your gambling is out of control. This will ban you from using their sportsbook app for an allotted amount of time.
Wager and Time Limits
Wager and time limits can be an excellent way to budget your gambling activity. Whether you want to set a limit per wager you make or the amount of time you spend on the app, sportsbooks will grant you the ability to designate these limits so your gambling can stay entertaining.
If you believe you have an addiction or your gambling habits are out of your control, you should seek out a professional for help. Below are some of the options you can use:
- Call the NCPG: 1-800-522-4700 (24-hour confidential national helpline)
- Text the NCPG: 1-800-522-4700 (24-hour confidential national text service)
- Chat with the NCPG: ncpgambling.org/chat (24-hour confidential national chat service.
Visit the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG)’s treatment website and go through different states resources.
West Virginia sports betting FAQs
Is sports betting legal in West Virginia?
Yes it is, sports betting is legal through retail and on mobile!
What is the legal betting age in West Virginia?
The legal betting age in West Virginia is 21.
What banking options are available on mobile sportsbook apps?
Most if not all of these options are available, regardless of the sportsbook app: ACH eCheck, Bank wire transfer, Cash at the casino cage, Online banking, PayNearMe, PayPal, Skrill, Visa/Mastercard